Find us at Six Two, Repton Manor, Repton Avenue, Ashford, Kent, TN23 3GP.
We’re hiring! Find out more about our digital account and project manager role here.
All of our websites use WordPress for the content management system to make it as easy as possible to edit and update your website. But it can be daunting when you’ve not used the platform before, that’s why we’re here to help.
We’ve put together a series of blogs to talk you through the WordPress basics you need to know when editing your website. In this blog we’ll cover how to login to the backend of your site and where you can find your content.
To login to the backend of your website to make updates, type /wp-admin at the end of your website URL e.g www.sixtwo.tech/wp-admin. This will take you to a WordPress login page, where you input your correct login details and press enter.
Once you’ve logged in, you’ll be taken to the dashboard view. From here you can navigate to all areas of your website.
The navigation menu in WordPress is located on the left-hand side of the screen. It may seem like a complicated menu, but don’t worry – it’ll feel familiar once you get used to it.
Here’s what each menu item covers. You may have some extra menu items for bespoke sections that were specifically created for your website (e.g. case studies, team, etc.)
The main sections you’re likely to access on a regular basis include:
– Pages – this is where you’ll find your website pages such as Home, About and Contact. You can edit or add new pages here.
– Posts – this where you’ll find your news articles or blog posts.
– Media – this is where you’ll find the images, videos, documents and media files that have been uploaded to the website.
Other sections that you’re likely only to need from time to time include:
– Flamingo – this is where you’ll find a record of each contact form submission that’s been submitted on your site. Not every website has this now due to GDPR.
– Social links – this is where you’ll find the social media links you have displayed on your site, from here you can add, update and delete a social link.
– Contact – this is where you’ll find the contact forms used on your site, this could be general contact forms or enquiry forms and can also be linked to mailing systems like Mailchimp for subscriptions.
– Appearance/ menus – this is where you’ll be able to update your site’s navigation menus, ask your developer which menus you should edit before making any changes.
– Users – this is where you’ll find a list of the users on your site, this will normally include your own user account and an admin account for your website company or developers. If you have a members area or subscription feature then those subscribed users will also display in this list.
– SEO – this is where you’ll find the Yoast SEO plugin settings, it can be linked to your Google Search Console account too to help analyse your search appearance.
Keep an eye out for the next blog in our WordPress basics series to learn about creating, cloning and publishing pages.
– Custom fields – this is where you’ll find any custom fields built for your website, we’d recommend not editing these unless you’ve spoken to your developer and they’ve agreed with your changes.
– Plugins – this is where you’ll find a list of the plugins on your website, either active or disabled. You can also add any additional plugins here but it’s best to check with your developer first to make sure the plugin is needed and will work on your website.
– Settings – this is where you’ll find your site’s general settings.
If you own or manage a website, subscribe to our blog to get email updates whenever we publish a new article. Our articles include practical tips and advice to help you better manage the process of buying, creating and growing your website.
We’re Six Two: a long-standing, tight-knit team of designers, developers, strategists and planners who specialise in WordPress. We’re on a mission to empower businesses with their websites and technology, and our commitment to quality means we guarantee our websites for 12 months.
Find out more about us
Discover our services
See our work